WuXi Biologics Congratulates Amicus Therapeutics on U.S. FDA Approval for New Treatment for Pompe Disease
WUXI, China, Oct. 2, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- WuXi Biologics ("WuXi Bio") (2269.HK), a leading global Contract Research, Development and Manufacturing Organization (CRDMO), congratulates its strategic partner, Amicus Therapeutics ("Amicus") (Nasdaq: FOLD), on receiving U.S. FDA's approval for Pombiliti™ (cipaglucosidase alfa-atga) + Opfolda™ (miglustat) 65mg capsules. This two-component therapy is indicated for those adults living with late-onset Pompe disease (LOPD) weighing ≥40 kg and who are not improving on their current enzyme replacement therapy (ERT).
Pombiliti™, a recombinant human GAA enzyme (rhGAA) naturally expressed with high levels of bis-M6P (Mannose 6-Phosphate), was started at WuXi Biologics in 2012 with just an initial concept and now realizes commercialization enabled by WuXi Biologics' proprietary integrated technology platform and unparalleled manufacturing capacity. As the exclusive commercial drug substance manufacturing partner and key commercial drug product supplier, WuXi Biologics is now providing commercial manufacturing services for Pombiliti™ at five facilities across its global manufacturing network.
Bradley Campbell, President and Chief Executive Officer of Amicus Therapeutics, commented, "This approval marks a major milestone for the Pompe disease community in the United States. Bringing this new treatment option to market has required immense dedication and strong partnership between the WuXi Biologics team and Amicus, relying on our shared dedication to patients and our ability to execute on our vision to bring high quality therapies to the rare disease community. Over many years of hard work, our joint efforts have brought this medicine from an idea, to a molecule, to clinical manufacturing and commercial supply, delivering on our commitment to people living with late-onset Pompe disease."
Dr. Chris Chen, CEO of WuXi Biologics, commented, "We're honored to enable Amicus to achieve this great milestone, which we've been looking forward to for over 11 years. This close partnership not only showcases our successful strategy, 'follow the molecule', but also inspires us to accelerate the discovery, development and manufacturing of more rare disease biologic therapeutics for global partners. I am confident that the collaboration between our two companies, both of which share a passion for patients, will achieve greater successes in the journey of benefiting global patients with rare diseases."
About Pompe Disease
Pompe disease is an inherited lysosomal disorder caused by deficiency of the enzyme acid alpha-glucosidase (GAA). Reduced or absent levels of GAA lead to accumulation of glycogen in cells, which is believed to result in the clinical manifestations of Pompe disease. Pompe disease ranges from a rapidly deteriorating infantile form with significant impact to heart function, to a more slowly progressive, late-onset form primarily affecting skeletal muscle and progressive respiratory involvement. Late-onset Pompe disease can be severe and debilitating with progressive muscle weakness throughout the body that worsens over time, particularly skeletal muscles and muscles that control breathing.
About Pombiliti + Opfolda
Pombiliti + Opfolda, is a two-component therapy that consists of cipaglucosidase alfa-atga, a bis-M6P-enriched rhGAA that facilitates high-affinity uptake through the M6P receptor while retaining its capacity for processing into the most active form of the enzyme, and the oral enzyme stabilizer, miglustat, that's designed to reduce loss of enzyme activity in the blood.
About WuXi Biologics
WuXi Biologics (stock code: 2269.HK) is a leading global Contract Research, Development and Manufacturing Organization (CRDMO) offering end-to-end solutions that enable partners to discover, develop and manufacture biologics – from concept to commercialization – for the benefit of patients worldwide.
With over 12,000 skilled employees in China, the United States, Ireland, Germany and Singapore, WuXi Biologics leverages its technologies and expertise to provide customers with efficient and cost-effective biologics discovery, development and manufacturing solutions. As of June 30, 2023, WuXi Biologics is supporting 621 integrated client projects, including 22 in commercial manufacturing.
WuXi Biologics views Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) responsibilities as an integral component of our ethos and business strategy, and we aim to become an ESG leader in the biologics CRDMO sector. Our facilities use next-generation biomanufacturing technologies and clean-energy sources. We have also established an ESG committee led by our CEO to steer the comprehensive ESG strategy and its implementation, enhancing our commitment to sustainability.
For more information about WuXi Biologics, please visit: www.wuxibiologics.com.
PR Newswire News
- Brinc Introduces New Partners & Collaborators for 2024 Web3 & Gaming Programs
- Inaugural Asia FII PRIORITY Summit Powered By FII Institute To Take Place In Hong Kong On 7 & 8 December
- Antengene Announces XPOVIO® Regulatory Approval in Macau for the Treatment of Relapsed and/or Refractory Multiple Myeloma
- N mobile Makes Its Disruptive Debut - Probably the best value travel & lifestyle mobile brand in Hong Kong
- Kai Tin Shopping Centre Unveils Its New Wing with an Exciting New Look and New Shops
- The Grand Opening of River Cam Dermatology Centre and River Cam Nutrition Center (Shatin) Amalgamates Ancient Chinese Medicine Skin Care Wisdom and Nutrition Science
- First Digital's Stablecoin FDUSD Hits US$1 Billion Market Cap on Strong Market Adoption
- Innovent Announces the Phase 3 ORIENT-16 Study Results Published in JAMA Evaluating Sintilimab in Combination with Chemotherapy for the First-Line Treatment of Gastric or Gastroesophageal Junction (G/GEJ) Adenocarcinoma
- Sirnaomics Announces Successful Completion of Cohort 1 from Phase I Clinical Study of GalNAc-Based RNAi Therapeutic STP122G for Anticoagulant Treatment
- The 2023 Investor Open Day of Zylox-Tonbridge was successfully held
- inQB8 Medical Technologies LLC and Peijia Medical Limited Report Successful First-in-Human (FIH) Implantation of MonarQ Transcatheter Tricuspid Valve Replacement (TTVR) System in The United States of America
- Results of three investigator-initiated trials on cadonilimab (PD-1/CTLA-4) for G/GEJC, pMMR/MSS mCRC, and HCC neoadjuvant therapy published at ESMO Asia 2023
- Ascletis Announces Initiation of Phase III Clinical Trial of ASC40 (Denifanstat) for Treatment of Acne
- MINISO Group Responded to Unusual Price and Trading Volume Movements and Increase Plan in Shareholding by Managements
- Sun Hung Kai Properties' flagship project TOWNPLACE WEST KOWLOON unveils 53,000-sq. ft. TP SOCIAL CLUB, showcasing the "Bleisure Lifestyle"
- Reimagining education: 2023 Yidan Prize Summit explores innovative ideas that spark change
- SUNeVision Partners with Digital Edge to Fast-track Customers' Regional Expansion
- CARsgen's CT071 Received IND Clearance from the FDA for Treating Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma or Relapsed/Refractory Primary Plasma Cell Leukemia
- Abbisko Therapeutics Announced the Entry into a Licensing Agreement for Pimicotinib (ABSK021) with Merck
- Govee Partners with Warner Bros. for "Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom" to Bring an Immersive Lighting Experience to Fans