Labuan IBFC: The Best Asian Captive Domicile 2019
- The midshore jurisdiction wins the Asian Domicile category for the second year running at the Asia Captive Review Awards 2019, sealing its Asian leadership in the self-insurance industry
- Survey by Captive Review, the industry's leading trade publication showed that 50% of all captives set up in Asia in 2018 were domiciled in Labuan IBFC
SINGAPORE, Oct. 15, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Labuan International Business and Financial Centre (Labuan IBFC) was recognised as the best Asian Domicile for the second year in a row at the Asia Captive Review Awards recently.
Labuan IBFC CEO, Farah Jaafar-Crossby (left), receiving the Asia Captive Review Awards 2019 for Asian domicile category, from Mansi Khatwani of Captive Review.
The Awards, held in Singapore on 10 October, recognise and reward service providers, captive owners and risk management professionals for their exceptional services and approaches to captive insurance in the Asia region. The Asian Domicile category is awarded to the jurisdiction that demonstrates the highest standards of regulation, accessibility, efficiency and commitment in promoting the captive insurance business in the region.
"We are immensely proud Labuan IBFC has won for the second year in a row - a testament of our commitment in ensuring the captive industry in Asia continues to grow," said CEO of Labuan IBFC Inc, Farah Jaafar-Crossby on the win. She added that in 2018, 50% of all captive insurance vehicles incorporated in Asia were domiciled in Labuan IBFC, testament to the leadership of the domicile in this space.
This momentum is expected to continue, and as at mid-2019 the jurisdiction had already recorded six captive formations, the same number for the entire of last year, leading to a 12.8 per cent increase to US$288 million in gross written premiums in June 2019, compared with US$255 million in the same period last year.
"We are honoured that our efforts in advancing awareness and growth of the captive insurance industry in the region has not gone unnoticed but more importantly, we are grateful to all our Labuan captives' owners and service providers, both of which are key elements of our thriving ecosystem. It is the collective effort of all in the industry that has enabled this win," Farah added.
She went on to say that such a specialist area of insurance like captives, can only thrive with a strong and deep ecosystem, to support it. As one of Asia's fastest growing reinsurance hubs, Labuan IBFC is an ideal location for captive formations for this very reason, of course support from the banking and corporate secretarial service providers adds to the benefits of setting up in the domicile.
Labuan IBFC is home to more than 200 insurance and risk management licensees and the industry Association, with the Labuan International Insurance Association being the single largest industry group in the jurisdiction. And of these 200, two Labuan players have also netted wins of their own at the Awards: Nicholas Actuarial Solutions for the Asian Actuarial Firm category and AFR Asia Pacific Ltd for the Asian Broker of the Year category.
Nicholas Actuarial Solutions' Founder and Actuary, Nicholas Yeo, said the win is evidence of their clients' trust in their professional services and innovative solutions. He added, "The captive market in Asia is growing at a very fast pace, with the dynamics rapidly changing. Whilst traditional insurance risk captives remain popular, our clients have moved towards utilising captives for overall enterprise risk management, including financial risks as well as operational risks. We are the only actuarial firm in Asia that provides dedicated and comprehensive solutions to captive insurance companies."
For local reinsurance brokerage firm, AFR Asia Pacific Ltd, it was their second year in a row to receive the Asia Captive Review Broker of the Year Award. "We are indeed grateful and humbled for the international recognition of the work which the AFR team has done in the specialised area of captive insurance and reinsurance business. We have been actively promoting captive insurance, particularly to qualified Malaysian insurance buyers with Labuan as the captive destination of choice," said Shaiful Arbi Abd Aziz, Chief Executive Officer of AFR Asia Pacific Ltd.
Overall Labuan IBFC's insurance sector registered strong growth in 2018 with total gross written premiums posting a significant increase to US$1.7 billion, rising 19.1 per cent from the previous year, of which foreign insurance business accounted for 64.7 per cent of the total premiums underwritten.
The Labuan captive business first began in the 1990s under the then Labuan Offshore Insurance Act. Since then, the segment has grown from strength to strength, becoming one of the fastest growing centres for the captive business in Asia.
ABOUT LABUAN IBFC
ASIA PACIFIC'S MIDSHORE INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL CENTRE
Labuan International Business and Financial Centre (Labuan IBFC), Malaysia, through our internationally recognised yet business-friendly legal framework, is the preferred international business and financial centre in Asia. Established in 1990, Labuan IBFC is regulated by the Labuan Financial Services Authority (Labuan FSA), statutory Regulator under the purview of the Ministry of Finance, Malaysia.
As a midshore jurisdiction, we offer global investors and businesses the benefits of being in a well-regulated and supervised jurisdiction, which adheres to international standards of compliance in tax transparency. We also provide fiscal neutrality and certainty in a currency neutral operating environment. Labuan IBFC, located in the centre of Asia, boasts a cost-efficient enabling environment making it an ideal location for substance creation for both global businesses looking at penetrating Asia or Asian entities aiming to go global.
Offering a wide range of business structures and investment solutions catered to cross-border transactions and international business dealings including fintech related solutions. We also provide services and solutions in niches such as risk management, commodity trading, reinsurance, wealth management, international business companies and Islamic financial services. Operating with clear and comprehensive legal provisions, guidelines and practice notes, enforced by a single regulator, Labuan FSA, Labuan IBFC provides an ideal jurisdiction for both corporates and high-net-worth individuals with international exposure.
To keep up with everything about Labuan IBFC, follow us on Twitter or Facebook @LabuanIBFC. Alternatively, visit www.labuanibfc.com.
Related Links :
PR Newswire News
- Generali Accelerates Finance Transformation in Hong Kong with SAP Solutions
- Ping An Voyager Fund Leads Investment in PlusDental to Enhance Modern Dentistry in Europe
- Klaytn's New DevTools Partnership Announcement
- GCLSI Awarded as Top Performer in PVEL 2020 PV Module Reliability Scorecard for the 4th Consecutive Year
- Zai Lab Announces Positive Topline Results from the NORA Phase 3 Study of ZEJULA® as Maintenance Therapy for Chinese Patients with Platinum-sensitive, Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- True Royalty TV Extends Crowdfunding Round Following Huge Demand
- Hang Lung Publishes Sustainability Reports 2019
- Labuan IBFC Market Performance for 2019: 30 Years of Intermediating Asia - Embracing Business Innovation & Digitalisation
- Trina Solar recognized as a "Top Performer" module manufacturer for sixth consecutive time
- Abridge Initiates Coverage on V1 Group with a "Buy" Rating and HK$0.29 Price Target
- Ping An's Object Detection Model Breaks Record in International Computer Vision Competition
- Manulife unveils new MOVE Health Score to help customers become healthier
- Cigna Study Shows Financial and Social Well-being Declines during COVID-19 Crisis
- Yuyu Pharma Signs Contract for Baseball Field Ad Campaign
- Hong Kong is number one in Asia for enterprise encryption, with customer personal information the top data protection priority, reports nCipher Security
- Herbalife Nutrition Survey Reveals Asia Pacific Consumers Turn to Social Media for Nutrition Information, But Prevalence of Online Myths Prevents Accurate Nutrition Knowledge
- Oi Wah recorded 6.5% growth of net profit in FY2020
- DERMALOG Fever Check at German Baltic Hotel