Labuan IBFC: The Best Asian Captive Domicile 2019
- The midshore jurisdiction wins the Asian Domicile category for the second year running at the Asia Captive Review Awards 2019, sealing its Asian leadership in the self-insurance industry
- Survey by Captive Review, the industry's leading trade publication showed that 50% of all captives set up in Asia in 2018 were domiciled in Labuan IBFC
SINGAPORE, Oct. 15, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Labuan International Business and Financial Centre (Labuan IBFC) was recognised as the best Asian Domicile for the second year in a row at the Asia Captive Review Awards recently.
Labuan IBFC CEO, Farah Jaafar-Crossby (left), receiving the Asia Captive Review Awards 2019 for Asian domicile category, from Mansi Khatwani of Captive Review.
The Awards, held in Singapore on 10 October, recognise and reward service providers, captive owners and risk management professionals for their exceptional services and approaches to captive insurance in the Asia region. The Asian Domicile category is awarded to the jurisdiction that demonstrates the highest standards of regulation, accessibility, efficiency and commitment in promoting the captive insurance business in the region.
"We are immensely proud Labuan IBFC has won for the second year in a row - a testament of our commitment in ensuring the captive industry in Asia continues to grow," said CEO of Labuan IBFC Inc, Farah Jaafar-Crossby on the win. She added that in 2018, 50% of all captive insurance vehicles incorporated in Asia were domiciled in Labuan IBFC, testament to the leadership of the domicile in this space.
This momentum is expected to continue, and as at mid-2019 the jurisdiction had already recorded six captive formations, the same number for the entire of last year, leading to a 12.8 per cent increase to US$288 million in gross written premiums in June 2019, compared with US$255 million in the same period last year.
"We are honoured that our efforts in advancing awareness and growth of the captive insurance industry in the region has not gone unnoticed but more importantly, we are grateful to all our Labuan captives' owners and service providers, both of which are key elements of our thriving ecosystem. It is the collective effort of all in the industry that has enabled this win," Farah added.
She went on to say that such a specialist area of insurance like captives, can only thrive with a strong and deep ecosystem, to support it. As one of Asia's fastest growing reinsurance hubs, Labuan IBFC is an ideal location for captive formations for this very reason, of course support from the banking and corporate secretarial service providers adds to the benefits of setting up in the domicile.
Labuan IBFC is home to more than 200 insurance and risk management licensees and the industry Association, with the Labuan International Insurance Association being the single largest industry group in the jurisdiction. And of these 200, two Labuan players have also netted wins of their own at the Awards: Nicholas Actuarial Solutions for the Asian Actuarial Firm category and AFR Asia Pacific Ltd for the Asian Broker of the Year category.
Nicholas Actuarial Solutions' Founder and Actuary, Nicholas Yeo, said the win is evidence of their clients' trust in their professional services and innovative solutions. He added, "The captive market in Asia is growing at a very fast pace, with the dynamics rapidly changing. Whilst traditional insurance risk captives remain popular, our clients have moved towards utilising captives for overall enterprise risk management, including financial risks as well as operational risks. We are the only actuarial firm in Asia that provides dedicated and comprehensive solutions to captive insurance companies."
For local reinsurance brokerage firm, AFR Asia Pacific Ltd, it was their second year in a row to receive the Asia Captive Review Broker of the Year Award. "We are indeed grateful and humbled for the international recognition of the work which the AFR team has done in the specialised area of captive insurance and reinsurance business. We have been actively promoting captive insurance, particularly to qualified Malaysian insurance buyers with Labuan as the captive destination of choice," said Shaiful Arbi Abd Aziz, Chief Executive Officer of AFR Asia Pacific Ltd.
Overall Labuan IBFC's insurance sector registered strong growth in 2018 with total gross written premiums posting a significant increase to US$1.7 billion, rising 19.1 per cent from the previous year, of which foreign insurance business accounted for 64.7 per cent of the total premiums underwritten.
The Labuan captive business first began in the 1990s under the then Labuan Offshore Insurance Act. Since then, the segment has grown from strength to strength, becoming one of the fastest growing centres for the captive business in Asia.
ABOUT LABUAN IBFC
ASIA PACIFIC'S MIDSHORE INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL CENTRE
Labuan International Business and Financial Centre (Labuan IBFC), Malaysia, through our internationally recognised yet business-friendly legal framework, is the preferred international business and financial centre in Asia. Established in 1990, Labuan IBFC is regulated by the Labuan Financial Services Authority (Labuan FSA), statutory Regulator under the purview of the Ministry of Finance, Malaysia.
As a midshore jurisdiction, we offer global investors and businesses the benefits of being in a well-regulated and supervised jurisdiction, which adheres to international standards of compliance in tax transparency. We also provide fiscal neutrality and certainty in a currency neutral operating environment. Labuan IBFC, located in the centre of Asia, boasts a cost-efficient enabling environment making it an ideal location for substance creation for both global businesses looking at penetrating Asia or Asian entities aiming to go global.
Offering a wide range of business structures and investment solutions catered to cross-border transactions and international business dealings including fintech related solutions. We also provide services and solutions in niches such as risk management, commodity trading, reinsurance, wealth management, international business companies and Islamic financial services. Operating with clear and comprehensive legal provisions, guidelines and practice notes, enforced by a single regulator, Labuan FSA, Labuan IBFC provides an ideal jurisdiction for both corporates and high-net-worth individuals with international exposure.
To keep up with everything about Labuan IBFC, follow us on Twitter or Facebook @LabuanIBFC. Alternatively, visit www.labuanibfc.com.
Related Links :
PR Newswire News
- International Diabetes Federation: Latest Figures Show 463 Million People Now Living With Diabetes Worldwide as Numbers Continue to Rise
- Blockchain Technology Empowers SMEs to Grow and Go Global
- International Peacemaker Professor Padraig O'Malley Receives Prestigious Henley & Partners Global Citizen Award
- Chubb appoints Jason Keen as Division President, Chubb Global Markets
- Tencent Announces 2019 Third Quarter Results
- AGTech Announces Third Quarterly Results For the Nine Months Ended September 30, 2019
- Crypto.com Partners With Xfers
- Credit/Debit Card Top-Up for Singapore MCO Visa Card is Now Available
- Vakrangee Q2FY2019-20 Financial Results
- Suning Sets New Singles' Day Record with Omni-Channel Orders Increasing by 76%
- Prime Minister of the Republic of Singapore Intrigued by WeBank's Fintech-powered Services at SFF x SWITCH
- Paradise Entertainment Makes a Glamorous Appearance at Macau Gaming Show 2019 Driving Innovation and Technology to the Electronic Gaming Industry
- United Kingdom's Unicorn unveils blockchain services for all industries
- Tokyo International Film Festival Reveals Diverse Lineup of Award Winners, Including Iranian Director Reza Jamali's "Old Men Never Die"
- IMAX China Names Edwin Tan Chief Executive Officer
- Home Control International Limited Announces Share Offer Allotment Results
- The French Tennis Federation (FFT) selects Wilson Sporting Goods as an Official Partner of Roland-Garros and of the FFT
- TRACE Releases 2019 Bribery Risk Matrix, Launches Bribery Risk Typology
- Parallel Wireless Helps to Deliver on MTN's OpenRAN Vision across Africa
- Crypto.com Lists Chiliz (CHZ)