LyondellBasell Announces Construction of New Small-Scale Molecular Recycling Facility
The new facility complements the company's existing mechanical recycling activities
ROTTERDAM, Netherlands and HOUSTON, Oct. 15, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- LyondellBasell today announced that it is building a new small-scale pilot facility at its Ferrara, Italy site moving another step closer to converting post-consumer plastic waste into new plastics on a commercial scale. The company selected its Ferrara site for the pilot facility due to its long history of research and development, including catalyst development.
Through its collaboration with the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), LyondellBasell's proprietary molecular recycling technology, known as MoReTec, has shown that use of a catalyst in the pyrolysis process, or the structural breakdown of plastic waste into molecules, is faster and more energy efficient than traditional chemical recycling.
"We have advanced our chemical recycling capabilities over the last 15 months, and through research and testing we are studying a number of LyondellBasell proprietary catalyst options," said Jim Seward, LyondellBasell Senior Vice President of Research & Development, Technology and Sustainability. "In addition to continuing the development of our catalyst options, our investment in a small-scale pilot facility will help us to advance MoReTec technology towards commercial scale in our quest to achieving a true circular economy."
LyondellBasell's MoReTec technology has the goal to convert typically difficult to recycle plastic waste such as multi-layer films, returning them to their molecular state to be used as feedstock to produce new plastic for all applications including food contact and healthcare items. While MoReTec is based on chemical recycling, it also includes a proprietary catalyst-based approach.
LyondellBasell believes this approach has significant potential due to its lower energy use and faster chemical conversion process which uses less heat.
In the coming months, LyondellBasell will continue its construction of its pilot facility at Ferrara, while also focusing on the interaction of various waste types on the molecular recycling process, catalyst selection, and process conditions.
The development of molecular recycling is just one of the three ways LyondellBasell is advancing sustainable solutions as it relates to plastic waste. LyondellBasell is also actively involved in mechanical recycling through its Quality Circular Polymers (QCP) joint venture with SUEZ, which converts post-consumer plastic waste into new plastic pellets that are used in applications ranging from electrical appliances, washing detergent bottles and suitcases. Additionally, LyondellBasell has produced new bioplastics from 100% renewable raw materials such as cooking and vegetable oil waste, which can be used to create items such as food packaging, toys and furniture.
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polymer compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2019, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies." More information about LyondellBasell can be found at www.LyondellBasell.com.
Related Links :
PR Newswire News
- International Diabetes Federation: Latest Figures Show 463 Million People Now Living With Diabetes Worldwide as Numbers Continue to Rise
- Blockchain Technology Empowers SMEs to Grow and Go Global
- International Peacemaker Professor Padraig O'Malley Receives Prestigious Henley & Partners Global Citizen Award
- Chubb appoints Jason Keen as Division President, Chubb Global Markets
- Tencent Announces 2019 Third Quarter Results
- AGTech Announces Third Quarterly Results For the Nine Months Ended September 30, 2019
- Crypto.com Partners With Xfers
- Credit/Debit Card Top-Up for Singapore MCO Visa Card is Now Available
- Vakrangee Q2FY2019-20 Financial Results
- Suning Sets New Singles' Day Record with Omni-Channel Orders Increasing by 76%
- Prime Minister of the Republic of Singapore Intrigued by WeBank's Fintech-powered Services at SFF x SWITCH
- Paradise Entertainment Makes a Glamorous Appearance at Macau Gaming Show 2019 Driving Innovation and Technology to the Electronic Gaming Industry
- United Kingdom's Unicorn unveils blockchain services for all industries
- Tokyo International Film Festival Reveals Diverse Lineup of Award Winners, Including Iranian Director Reza Jamali's "Old Men Never Die"
- IMAX China Names Edwin Tan Chief Executive Officer
- Home Control International Limited Announces Share Offer Allotment Results
- The French Tennis Federation (FFT) selects Wilson Sporting Goods as an Official Partner of Roland-Garros and of the FFT
- TRACE Releases 2019 Bribery Risk Matrix, Launches Bribery Risk Typology
- Parallel Wireless Helps to Deliver on MTN's OpenRAN Vision across Africa
- Crypto.com Lists Chiliz (CHZ)