VinBrain reaches final round of global competition "COVID-19 Pandemic Response Challenge"
The VinBrain team in the US has reached the final round of the Pandemic Response Challenge held by XPRIZE and Cognizant.
This competition, which has prize money of $500,000, aims to harness the power of data and artificial intelligence to predict COVID-19 infection rates, and propose Intervention Plans for governments, communities and regional institutions to control COVID-19 Pandemic when reopening the economy.
HANOI, VIETNAM - Media OutReach - 24 February 2021 - The Pandemic Response Challenge co-organised by XPRIZE and Cognizant was launched in November 2020. Participating teams will develop models based on artificial intelligence to make recommendations to achieve the goal of reopening society safely and limit negative impacts on the economy while minimising the SARS-CoV-2 virus outbreak.
Based on the jury's independent assessment of the AI prediction of the COVID-19 trend and the infection patterns of the participating teams, the jury selected 48 teams from 17 countries for the final round out of a total of 104 teams from 28 countries in the semi-finals.
Thanks to the guidance by Mr. Mudit Jain -- the Deputy General Director of VinBrain Product Development in the United States, the Vinteam team has developed a solution applying artificial intelligence to the accurate diagnosis of COVID-19 infections and provides intervention options.
The infection patterns vary by country and territory. As a result, interventions may work in one country or territory but be less effective in another.
Members of VinBrain in the US have come up with an extensive solution to this problem by developing the region-specific AI models to predict the COVID-19 infection time series in those regions. The Vinteam developed this solution based on a classical epidemic model called the SEIR model, which was then expanded to integrate with artificial intelligence to turn it into a dynamic model. In order to train its AI models, the team uses available features/data such as demographics, medical infrastructure, and economic indicators. A special feature used by Vinteam is Google Maps mobile metrics collected from worldwide Android phones in an anonymous and secure way, measuring the movements of people in public areas such as parks, hospitals, workplaces, grocery stores, stations, airports, etc. Another unique feature used by Vinteam is Google's COVID-19 infection trend data which is aggregated anonymously and contains popular COVID-19 Symptom-Related Google Searches.
The jury selected Vinteam for the final round based on the accuracy of the AI models and its ability to easily interpret the predictions of the solution. In addition, this approach can be used for any future pandemic response model.
Mr. Amir Banifatemi, General Manager for Innovation and Growth, said: "We aim to maximise the power of collaboration, competition and innovation to accelerate possible solutions for COVID-19 and future pandemics. The competition has shown encouraging results in a very short time, reflecting the application of artificial intelligence to the society."
The Pandemic Response Challenge is sponsored by XPRIZE, which designs and operates incentive competitions to solve humanity's grand challenges, in partnership with Cognizant, which is considered one of 15 iconic companies in the US, operating extensively in the field of information technology, developing business processes and consulting cooperation for some of the most successful units worldwide. The organisers also hope the competition will promote the use of artificial intelligence and data in tackling other humanitarian challenges. The competition's results will be announced at the end of February 2021.
VinBrain is an AI-focused company funded by VinGroup and its mission is to infuse AI and IoT to medicine. VinBrain aims to provide access to the best healthcare solutions, knowledge, and services. VinBrain is made up of a team of talented AI professionals with world-class experience. Their expertise are in the fields of computer vision, machine learning, language processing and large scale products and services. VinBrain's AI experts work in teams despite living in many different countries including Việt Nam, Australia, South Korea and the United States.
XPRIZE is a non-profit organization, the global leader in designing and launching incentive competitions to solve humanity's grand challenges. Active competitions include the $20 Million NRG COSIA Carbon XPRIZE, $10 Million XPRIZE Rainforest, $10 Million ANA Avatar XPRIZE, the $5 Million IBM Watson AI XPRIZE, $5 Million XPRIZE Rapid Reskilling, and $500K Pandemic Response Challenge.
- CROP.ZONE Takes Up New Shareholder
- Sunlight Real Estate Investment Trust Operational Statistics for the Third Quarter of the Financial Year 2020/21
- TuneCore Expands Operations into Southeast Asia, Spearheaded by Cyrus Chen
- TuneCore Expands Global Operations into Southeast Asia Region, Spearheaded by Cyrus Chen
- Cyrus Chen Leads TuneCore’s Expansion Into Southeast Asia
- TuneCore Marks Southeast Asia Expansion, Led by Cyrus Chen
- China Dongxiang Announces Operational Results for Q4 and Twelve Months of FY2020/21
- Fortinet Advises Macau Organizations to Step Up Cybersecurity on Three Fronts
- DFA Hong Kong Young Design Talent Award 2021 Applications Now Open until 28 June
- Far East Hospitality rides on first quarter’s momentum for regional expansion
- CPA Australia: Dynamic Filipino small businesses may be weighed down by financing difficulties
- XA Network expands and appoints senior advisory board, as Southeast Asia digital economy races ahead
- 2021 Starry Taitung Night 2.0 towards Sustainable Economy
- Microsoft announces plans to establish its first datacenter region in Malaysia as part of "Bersama Malaysia" initiative to support inclusive economic growth
- Statement on the discussion about the intended introduction of the Super League
- Dachser Shanghai is recognized as CEIV Pharma Certified by IATA
- Pearl FALCO Kicks Off The Grand Prix of Akoya Pearl Jewellery 2021, Themed 'Connection'
- M1 Spearheads the ‘Be’ Campaign, Redefining the New Normal in Singapore with Fibre Broadband Plans & WFH Solutions
- NTUC LearningHub Survey: Despite More Employers Seeing the Importance in Training in the Wake Of Covid-19, Not Enough Is Being Done to Upskill Workers
- Stay Fit, Stay Active 24/7 in Quarantine @ Dorsett Wanchai