Detected Cyber Threats Rose 20% to Exceed 62.6 Billion in 2020
Trend Micro’s annual roundup report can guide strategic security planning for the new year
HONG KONG SAR - Media OutReach - 24 February 2021 - Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704; TSE: 4704), a global leader in cybersecurity, today announced it detected 119,000 cyber threats per minute in 2020 as home workers and infrastructure came under new pressure from attacks. This insight and many others come from Trend Micro's 2020 roundup report, A Constant State of Flux: Trend Micro 2020 Annual Cybersecurity Report.
The report also shows that home networks were a major draw last year for cybercriminals looking to pivot to corporate systems, or compromise and conscript IoT devices into botnets. Trend Micro found attacks on homes surged 210% to reach nearly 2.9 billion--amounting to 15.5% of all homes. The vast majority (73%) of attacks on home networks involved brute forcing logins to gain control of a router or smart device.
Email-borne threats made up 91% of the 62.6 billion threats blocked by Trend Micro last year, indicating that phishing attacks continued to be hugely popular. The company detected nearly 14 million unique phishing URLs in 2020 as attackers targeted distracted home workers.
"In 2020, businesses faced unprecedented threat volumes hitting their extended infrastructure, including the networks of home workers. Familiar tactics such as phishing, brute forcing and vulnerability exploitation are still favored as the primary means of compromise, which should help when developing defenses," said Tony Lee, Head of Consulting of Trend Micro Hong Kong and Macau. "Global organizations have now had time to understand the operational and cyber risk impact of the pandemic. The new year is a chance to adjust and improve with comprehensive cloud-based security to protect distributed staff and systems."
Other key trends included:
- Newly detected ransomware families increased 34%, with "double extortion" attacks -- where attackers steal data before encrypting it to force payment by threatening to release the stolen information -- and more targeted threats becoming increasingly popular. Government, banking, manufacturing and healthcare were the most targeted sectors.
- The number of vulnerabilities published by the Zero Day Initiative (ZDI) increased 40% year-on-year, but Trend Micro continues to see flaws from as far back as 2005 being heavily exploited.
- Many attacks targeted flaws in VPNs used by remote workers. CVE-2019-11510, a critical arbitrary file disclosure flaw in Pulse Connect Secure, already has nearly 800,000 hits based on Trend Micro customer data.
- Cloud service misconfigurations increasingly had consequences in 2020. Trend Micro observed exploitation of unsecured APIs in several cryptocurrency mining attacks.
- The ZDI published 1,453 vulnerability advisories, nearly 80% of which were rated as Critical or High severity.
- On the positive front, there was a 17% fall in detections of BEC attacks, although there's no indication of how many were successful.
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro, a global leader in cybersecurity, helps make the world safe for exchanging digital information. Leveraging over 30 years of security expertise, global threat research, and continuous innovation, Trend Micro enables resilience for businesses, governments, and consumers with connected solutions across cloud workloads, endpoints, email, IIoT, and networks. Our XGen™ security strategy powers our solutions with a cross-generational blend of threat-defense techniques that are optimized for key environments and leverage shared threat intelligence for better, faster protection. With over 6,700 employees in 65 countries, and the world's most advanced global threat research and intelligence, Trend Micro enables organizations to secure their connected world. www.trendmicro.com.hk
- CROP.ZONE Takes Up New Shareholder
- Sunlight Real Estate Investment Trust Operational Statistics for the Third Quarter of the Financial Year 2020/21
- TuneCore Expands Operations into Southeast Asia, Spearheaded by Cyrus Chen
- TuneCore Expands Global Operations into Southeast Asia Region, Spearheaded by Cyrus Chen
- Cyrus Chen Leads TuneCore’s Expansion Into Southeast Asia
- TuneCore Marks Southeast Asia Expansion, Led by Cyrus Chen
- China Dongxiang Announces Operational Results for Q4 and Twelve Months of FY2020/21
- Fortinet Advises Macau Organizations to Step Up Cybersecurity on Three Fronts
- DFA Hong Kong Young Design Talent Award 2021 Applications Now Open until 28 June
- Far East Hospitality rides on first quarter’s momentum for regional expansion
- CPA Australia: Dynamic Filipino small businesses may be weighed down by financing difficulties
- XA Network expands and appoints senior advisory board, as Southeast Asia digital economy races ahead
- 2021 Starry Taitung Night 2.0 towards Sustainable Economy
- Microsoft announces plans to establish its first datacenter region in Malaysia as part of "Bersama Malaysia" initiative to support inclusive economic growth
- Statement on the discussion about the intended introduction of the Super League
- Dachser Shanghai is recognized as CEIV Pharma Certified by IATA
- Pearl FALCO Kicks Off The Grand Prix of Akoya Pearl Jewellery 2021, Themed 'Connection'
- M1 Spearheads the ‘Be’ Campaign, Redefining the New Normal in Singapore with Fibre Broadband Plans & WFH Solutions
- NTUC LearningHub Survey: Despite More Employers Seeing the Importance in Training in the Wake Of Covid-19, Not Enough Is Being Done to Upskill Workers
- Stay Fit, Stay Active 24/7 in Quarantine @ Dorsett Wanchai