Ajoomma Is the First Singaporean Film to Launch Exclusively on Prime Video
Beginning April 13, Prime members in Singapore can stream the most critically acclaimed Singaporean film in recent years on Prime VideoAmazon Prime includes unlimited access to award-winning movies and TV episodes with Prime Video, unlimited access to video game benefits with Prime Gaming, Prime Day, access to tens of thousands of items available for free same day delivery service on Amazon Fresh & Fast on orders over S$60 (subject to slot availability), as well as free one-day delivery on domestic Prime eligible selection on Amazon.sg, all available for only $2.99 a month
SINGAPORE - Media OutReach - 21 March 2023 - Today, video streaming service Prime Video announced that critically acclaimed Singaporean film Ajoomma will be available exclusively on Prime Video in Singapore starting April 13.
Touted as the first official Singaporean-Korean co-production, Ajoomma is the feature directorial debut of Singaporean filmmaker He Shuming. The film is produced by Anthony Chen, a Golden Horse and Cannes Film Festival award winner. Ajoomma was also selected by the Singapore Film Commission as the nation's entry to the 95th Academy Awards in 2023 in the Best International Film category. The film has received four nominations at the 59th Golden Horse Awards, and won "Best Screenplay" at the QCinema International Film Festival and the "Audience Award for Best Film" at the Red Sea International Film Festival. In addition, veteran actress Hong Huifang clinching the "Snow Leopard Best Actress Award" at the 8th Asian World Film Festival. Ajoomma is also available on Prime Video in Malaysia and Brunei.
Ajoomma follows the journey of Bee Hwa (Hong Huifang), a Singaporean middle-aged woman who has dedicated the best years of her life to caring for her family. Now widowed, with her grown-up son (Shane Pow) about to fly the roost, she is left to contend with a whole new identity beyond her roles of daughter, wife, and mother. A solo trip to South Korea becomes a wide adventure for her, when she meets Kwon-Woo (Kang Hyung Suk), a young tour guide who can't seem to get his life in order, and Jung Su (Jung Dong-Hwan), an elderly security guard. The trio embark on an unexpected roller-coaster ride, where hearts flutter and unlikely bonds are formed.
"Ajoomma is a film that was seven years in the making, inspired by my relationship with my mother and a phase of transition in life for the both of us," said director He Shuming. "The genesis of the film's story was to explore the other side of the protagonist's character, unbound by her motherly duties, and that it's never too late to pursue your passions. I'm delighted that authentic Singaporean stories like Ajoomma will now be told to many more audiences within our borders and beyond."
"We're honoured by the many accolades Ajoomma has received, and even more heartened by the warm reception from audiences in Singapore and around the world," said producer Anthony Chen. "Ajoomma is a testament to the strength of Singapore storytelling and filmmaking, and I look forward to telling even more homegrown stories that will resonate everywhere."
"We are proud to make Ajoomma the first Singapore film that is exclusively available to Prime members in Singapore," said David Simonsen, director of Prime Video, Southeast Asia. "With its heartfelt and compelling story, it has delighted film critics and audiences, and we look forward to bringing more made-by-Singapore content to Prime members. We are excited about the future of Singapore's film and entertainment industry and are committed to supporting local filmmakers by showcasing the best of our talent and stories to a wider audience."
Ajoomma joins Prime Video's growing library, including Southeast Asian titles such as the award-winning Before, Now & Then (Nana), Perfect Strangers, Ten Little Mistresses, and Korean titles such as Island and Love in Contract, anime hits such as Chainsaw Man, on top of award-winning and critically acclaimed Amazon Originals like The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, and Emmy and Golden Globe winners Argentina 1985, Fleabag and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Prime members in Singapore will be able to watch Ajoomma anywhere and anytime on hundreds of compatible devices. Prime Video is available in Singapore for just $2.99 per month, new customers can find out more at primevideo.com and subscribe to a free 30-day trial.
The issuer is solely responsible for the content of this announcement.
About Prime Video – Singapore
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of TV series, movies—all available to watch on hundreds of compatible devices:
- Included with Prime Video: Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows, award-winning Amazon Originals and other exclusives, and more. Think global Amazon Original series such as The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power, The Wheel of Time, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, as well as critically acclaimed Amazon Original movies like Ron Howard's Thirteen Lives, Coming 2 America, The Tomorrow War, and exclusive local title such as Ajoomma, Korean titles such as Island and Love In Contract, anime hits such as Jujutsu Kaisen 0, and many more. Prime Video is available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide.
- Instant Access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or use the Prime Video app on compatible smartphones, tablets, game consoles, or select smart TVs.
- Enhanced Experiences: Control how much data you use when streaming and downloading videos by choosing between Good, Better and Best visual quality settings, all of which utilise Prime Video's state of the art video compression technology to use less data without reducing visual quality. Make the most of every viewing with High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
- Personalized: Customers can browse the user interface in their own language and watch popular TV shows and movies with subtitles.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Amazon strives to be Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company, Earth's Best Employer, and Earth's Safest Place to Work. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit Amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.
- Oi Wah and PACM Group entered into MOU
- Udokan Copper helps restore Siberian sturgeon population as part of its ESG program
- New Report Finds Enterprises are Accelerating Edge Adoption to Get Ahead of the Competition with Nearly 70% Leveraging Edge to Solve Critical Business Challenges
- BingX Launches Special Events for Peer-to-Peer Crypto-Fiat Traders, Providing Rewards for First Trades
- Royal Road and MSB Holdings Enter into Joint Venture Shareholders Agreement for Mineral Exploration
- Hong Kong In-Home Expo 2023 Opens Today
- Prince Holding Group and CanCham Explore Synergies for Future Partnerships in Cambodia
- Skyborn Renewables appoints Stine Würtz Jepsen as CHRO
- BKH-ICD Showcases Upcoming New Inland Port to Boost Trade between Thailand and Malaysia
- Get Ready for the Summer’s Hottest Sale With iShopChangi
- Alibaba Cloud Debuts Its Sustainability Solution at i Light Singapore 2023
- Happy Rainy Days Announces Launch of the Perfectly Functional Umbrella
- IDC MarketScape names Infobip as a Leader in the Communications Platform as a Service for the second time
- OctaFX: Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) is unlikely to raise interest rates as core inflation eases
- GSS 2023 goes online with month-long Great Shopee Sale starting 6.6
- Immortalize Launches Singapore’s First End-of-Life, Legacy Planning Card Game
- Yik Wo International to submit application for transferring of listing to the Main Board
- Symphony’s Innovate 2023: compliant communications, AI and trader voice take center stage
- Say No to Plastic! City Super Group Supports World Environmental Day’s Message "Beat Plastic Pollution"
- Schneider Electric’s first Sustainability School opens for enrolment